Author Topic: Question to Electronic Devices in Airplanes during Approach and Landing  (Read 1851 times)

Offline TOM130

• CEO
  • VA name:

Hi,

next month I will have a short job travel to EGLC.  :)  My first time to this airport and I don't want to miss my camera.

How is British Airways looking for cameras? I know some airllines are really strict, but I know you can switch them on when they sit down for landing.

I always have some fear that it could have some influence on aircraft systems.

But I know that there are always some guys forgetting to switch off their mobiles in the bag. And my camera has no gps function.

What is your opinion?

Greets

Tom

dundrum

Hi Tom,

It is completely safe to use a camera on a plane....your device is not sending or receiving any radio/microwave signals, so the only thing it will disturb is maybe the guy sitting next to you  :)

Cheers Glenn.

Offline TOM130

• CEO
  • VA name:

Thanks Glenn!  :)

My second fear was that one day I get a post at aviation herald as a 'unruly passenger'.

I take my camera and hope for crosswinds. And so my neighbour will not realize that I am making a movie.

Dematic24224041

From what I understand the official reason for the requirement that electronic devices need to be turned off is to make sure passengers listen to the safety instructions from the flight attendants, reduce the presence of loose objects getting in the way in case of an emergency.

Of course telling them this would potetaily result in them not listening. So if you add the extra elimate "it interferes with the on board navigation" people will be more likely to listen.

I always remeber this one time flying up to Scotland the stuwardess was running through her safety brief, she just got to the part about turning all mobile phones off and there was this suspicious ringing coming from here pocket, humm wonder what that is lol  ;D

Chris

Offline Chas_Smash

• Founder
  • VA name:
  • Awards German WRC Competitor
Hi Tom,

I am commuting every other week with AirBerlin LSZH->EDDL and back...

Never ever I experienced that a stewardess disallowed me using my MP3 player or my camera.

They only ask passengers using their mobiles but as Chris pointed out this is probably due to keep pax attention to the safety instructions.
I always had the feeling they want to protect the pax against themselves.... I wouldnßt want to listen to all the stuff people speak into their mobiles.

So I think a camera shouldn't be a problem....

I really envy you .... flew into EGLC a lot in early '90s ... a breathtaking approach... 5° glideslope through the docklands with the tall buildings to the left and right...

.. almost like approaching HongKong in the old days....

Offline TOM130

• CEO
  • VA name:

I know EGLC only from FSX and videos.  :) 

Devices, camera:
Now I think the same. And also that the people are listen if something important is to say during an emergency. If you listen to your mp3, you hear nothing...

I got a message from a friend, he has experience as a real pilot and is ATC in training. He said the only thing a camera or a mobile is influencing is your magnetic compass, if you sit in the cockpit close to it. And nowadays aircraft are not flying alone with this we know.

I got this fear, because I had an experience with SAS. They are really strictly controlling this.

Offline Polar_aviator

• Pilot
  • VA name:
  • Awards 100% Pax Satisfaction Award RBV
The fear is just that it may interfere with aircraft systems, I don't know about newer machines but to prove the B.S. of the claim; we flew back to Yellowknife and it was VFR.  I turned on my mobile and stuck it right on the center pedestal, and we flew a coupled ILS approach right to minims and there wasn't even the slightest systems deviation.